Re: Win32 timezone matching

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 timezone matching
Date: 2010-04-15 01:48:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 21:01, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> ... lack either the note about defaulting to GMT or the hint. I guess
>> we should add both of those to the failure cases in the Windows version
>> of identify_system_timezone. Should we also change the WARNING errlevel
>> to LOG? I think the latter is more likely to actually get into the log.

> You are suggesting adding this after the "could not find match"
> message, correct? Not replacing it? Because if we replace it, we loose
> the information of what we failed to match. So basically like
> attached?

No, I was thinking more like the attached. This changes the Unix code
to separate the info about the fallback timezone into errdetail, and
then makes the Windows messages follow that style.

> Also, would LOG be *more* likely to be seen than a WARNING? Why would that be?

Because that's how log levels sort for the postmaster log. This isn't
an interactive warning --- we will never be executing this code in a
regular backend, only in the postmaster.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgtz_messages.patch text/x-patch 6.9 KB