Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tender wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Date: 2024-01-08 15:42:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Jan-08, Dilip Kumar wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 4:55 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > The more I look at TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus, the more I think
> > it's broken, and while we do have some tests, I don't have confidence
> > that they cover all possible cases.
> >
> > Or, at least, if this code is good, then it hasn't been sufficiently
> > explained.
>
> Any thought about a case in which you think it might be broken, I mean
> any vague thought might also help where you think it might not work as
> expected so that I can also think in that direction. It might be
> possible that I might not be thinking of some perspective that you are
> thinking and comments might be lacking from that point of view.

Eh, apologies. This email was an unfinished draft that I had laying
around before the holidays which I intended to discard it but somehow
kept around, and just now I happened to press the wrong key combination
and it ended up being sent instead. We had some further discussion,
after which I no longer think that there is a problem here, so please
ignore this email.

I'll come back to this patch later this week.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El que vive para el futuro es un iluso, y el que vive para el pasado,