Re: cataloguing NOT NULL constraints

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cataloguing NOT NULL constraints
Date: 2023-08-25 11:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have now pushed this again. Hopefully it'll stick this time.

We may want to make some further tweaks to the behavior in some cases --
for example, don't disallow ALTER TABLE DROP NOT NULL when the
constraint is both inherited and has a local definition; the other
option is to mark the constraint as no longer having a local definition.
I left it the other way because that's what CHECK does; maybe we would
like to change both at once.

I ran it through CI, and the pg_upgrade test with a dump from 14's
regression test database and everything worked well, but it's been a
while since I tested the sepgsql part of it, so that might the first
thing to explode.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/