Re: Add support for AT LOCAL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add support for AT LOCAL
Date: 2023-06-12 15:37:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-Jun-06, Laurenz Albe wrote:

> At a quick glance, it looks like you resolve "timezone" at the time
> the query is parsed. Shouldn't the resolution happen at query
> execution time?

Sounds like it -- consider the case where the timestamp value is a
partition key and one of the partition boundaries falls in between two
timezone offsets for some particular ts value; then you use a prepared
query to read from a view defined with AT LOCAL. Partition pruning
would need to compute partitions to read from at runtime, not plan time.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/