Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints
Date: 2023-04-02 18:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-04-02 13:40:05 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > another rebase for cfbot
>
> I took a brief look through v20, and generally liked what I saw,
> but there are a few things troubling me:

Just want to note that I've repeatedly objected to 0002 and 0003, i.e. moving
serialized logical decoding snapshots and mapping files, to custodian, and
still do. Without further work it increases wraparound risks (the filenames
contain xids), and afaict nothing has been done to ameliorate that.

Without those, the current patch series does not have any tasks:

> * The original proposal included moving RemovePgTempFiles into this
> mechanism, which I thought was probably the most useful bit of the
> whole thing. I'm sad to see that gone, what became of it?

Greetings,

Andres Freund