Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-02-15 18:45:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 07:57:25AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2023-02-12 Su 15:59, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > It seems like if pgindent knows about git, it ought to process only
> > tracked files. Then, it wouldn't need to manually exclude generated
> > files, and it wouldn't process vpath builds and who-knows-what else it
> > finds in CWD.
>
> I don't really want restrict this to tracked files because it would mean you
> can't pgindent files before you `git add` them.

I think you'd allow indenting files which were either tracked *or*
specified on the command line.

Also, it makes a more sense to "add" the file before indenting it, to
allow checking the output and remove unrelated changes. So that doesn't
seem to me like a restriction of any significance.

But I would never want to indent an untracked file unless I specified
it.

--
Justin