Re: Importing pg_bsd_indent into our source tree

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Importing pg_bsd_indent into our source tree
Date: 2023-02-12 00:42:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-11 18:54:00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I ended up converting the test infrastructure into a TAP test,
> which kind of feels like overkill; but the Meson system doesn't
> seem to provide any lower-overhead way to run a test.

FWIW, The default way to indicate failures in a test is the exit
code. Obviously that allows less detailed reporting, but other than that, it
works (that's how we test pg_regress today).

> Also, for now both build systems *will* run tests on it,
> although I'm not sure if plugging it into "make check-world"
> is enough to cause the cfbot to do so, and I'm pretty sure
> that the buildfarm won't notice that.

That's sufficient for cfbot, on the CI task still using autoconf. And for
meson it'll also suffice.

It actually already ran:
https://cirrus-ci.com/build/5984572702195712

The windows test failure is a transient issue independent of the patch
(something went wrong with image permissions). However the linux autoconf one
isn't:
https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/artifact/task/5482952532951040/log/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/tmp_check/log/regress_log_001_pg_bsd_indent

# Running: pg_bsd_indent --version
Command 'pg_bsd_indent' not found in /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin, /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /bin at /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/../../../src/test/perl/PostgreSQL/Test/Utils.pm line 832.

I guess there might be a missing dependency? PATH looks sufficient.

> I'll let the cfbot loose on this, and if it runs the tests
> successfully I plan to go ahead and push. We can resolve
> the installation question later. We might want to back off
> testing too once we're satisfied about portability.

> (I left out the 0004 declaration-formatting patch for now, btw.)

Makes sense.

Greetings,

Andres Freund