Re: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: katsuragiy(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, yuzhihong(at)gmail(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, Shinya11(dot)Kato(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure
Date: 2023-02-09 02:31:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:57:01 +0000, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote in
> I found cfbot failure, PSA fixed version.

+ Unlike <xref linkend="libpq-PQstatus"/>, this function checks socket
+ health. This check is performed by polling the socket. This function is
+ currently available only on systems that support the non-standard

I find it quite confusing that we have pqSocketCheck and PQconnCheck,
that does almost the same thing.. Since pqSocketCheck is a static
function, we can modify the function as we like.

I still don't understand why we need pqconnCheck_internal separate
from pqSocketPoll(), and PQconnCheck from pqSocketCheck.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/TYAPR01MB58665BF23D38EDF10028DE2AF5299%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com#47d21431bf9fa94f763c824f6e81fa54
> IIUC, pqSocketCheck () calls pqSocketPoll(),
> and in the pqSocketPoll() we poll()'d the POLLIN or POLLOUT event.
> But according to [1], we must wait POLLRDHUP event,
> so we cannot reuse it straightforward.

Yeah, I didn't suggest to use the function as-is. Couldn't we extend
the fucntion by letting it accept end_time = 0 && !forRead &&
!forWrite, not causing side effects?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi