Re: improving user.c error messages

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improving user.c error messages
Date: 2023-01-26 09:07:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Please use
errdetail("You must have %s privilege to create roles with %s.",
"SUPERUSER", "SUPERUSER")));

in this kind of message where multiple copies appear that only differ in
the keyword to use, to avoid creating four copies of essentially the
same string.

This applies in several places.

> - errmsg("must have createdb privilege to change createdb attribute")));
> + errmsg("permission denied to alter role"),
> + errhint("You must have CREATEDB privilege to alter roles with CREATEDB.")));

I think this one is a bit ambiguous; does "with" mean that roles that
have that priv cannot be changed, or does it mean that you cannot meddle
with that bit in particular? I think it'd be better to say
"You must have %s privilege to change the %s attribute."
or something like that.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Maybe there's lots of data loss but the records of data loss are also lost.