Re: pg_upgrade from PG-14.5 to PG-15.1 failing due to non-existing function

From: David Geier <geidav(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimos Stamatakis <dimos(dot)stamatakis(at)servicenow(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade from PG-14.5 to PG-15.1 failing due to non-existing function
Date: 2023-01-26 09:14:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 1/25/23 19:38, Dimos Stamatakis wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> I attempted to perform an upgrade from PG-14.5 to PG-15.1 with
> pg_upgrade and unfortunately it errors out because of a function that
> does not exist anymore in PG-15.1.
>
> The function is ‘pg_catalog.close_lb’ and it exists in 14.5 but not in
> 15.1.
>
> In our scenario we changed the permissions of this function in PG14.5
> (via an automated tool) and then pg_upgrade tries to change the
> permissions in PG15.1 as well.

Here [1] is a very similar issue that has been reported in 2019.

The patch didn't make it in but it also seems to not fix the issue
reported by Dimos. The patch in [1] seems to be concerned with changed
function signatures rather than with dropped functions. Maybe [1] could
be revived and extended to also ignore dropped functions?

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/f85991ad-bbd4-ad57-fde4-e12f0661dbf0%40postgrespro.ru

--
David Geier