Re: Remove source code display from \df+?

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove source code display from \df+?
Date: 2023-01-23 02:37:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 08:23:25PM -0500, Isaac Morland wrote:
> > Were you able to test with your own github account ?
>
> I haven’t had a chance to try this. I must confess to being a bit confused
> by the distinction between running the CI tests and doing "make check";
> ideally I would like to be able to run all the tests on my own machine
> without any external resources. But at the same time I don’t pretend to
> understand the full situation so I will try to use this when I get some
> time.

First: "make check" only runs the sql tests, and not the perl tests
(including pg_upgrade) or isolation tests. check-world runs everything.

One difference from running it locally is that cirrus runs tests under
four OSes. Another is that it has a bunch of compilation flags and
variations to help catch errors (although it's currently missing
ENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS, so that wouldn't have been
caught). And another reason is that it runs in a "clean" environment,
so (for example) it'd probably catch if you have local, uncommited
changes, or if you assumed that the username is "postgres" (earlier I
said that it didn't, but actually the mac task runs as "admin").

The old way of doing things was for cfbot to "inject" the cirrus.yml
file and then push a branch to cirrusci to run tests; it made some sense
for people to mail a patch to the list to cause cfbot to run the tests
under cirrusci. The current/new way is that .cirrus.yml is in the
source tree, so anyone with a github account can do that. IMO it no
longer makes sense to send patches to the list "to see" if it passes
tests. I encouraging those who haven't to try it.

--
Justin