Re: Lazy allocation of pages required for verifying FPI consistency

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lazy allocation of pages required for verifying FPI consistency
Date: 2023-01-12 08:29:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Mon, 9 Jan 2023 20:00:00 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> I propose to statically allocate these two pages using PGAlignedBlock
> structure lazily in verifyBackupPageConsistency() to not waste dynamic
> memory worth 2*BLCKSZ bytes. I'm attaching a small patch herewith.
>
> Thoughts?

IMHO, it's a bit scaring to me to push down the execution stack by
that large size. I tend to choose the (current) possible memory
wasting only on startup process than digging stack deeply.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center