Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-10-04 03:25:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-30 15:35:26 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I was thinking of starting at least the following threads / CF entries once a
> few of the remaining things are resolved:
>
> - PGXS compatibility, plus related autoconf simplification patches
> - pkg-config files for building postgres extensions
> - relative rpath support
>
> I am a bit on the fence about whether it's worth doing so for:
>
> - installcheck equivalent
> - precompiled header support (would like it soon, because it reduces
> compile-test times substantially)
>
> and, for no really tangible reason, considered
> - resource files generation
> - docs
> - docs dependency
>
> to be part of this thread / CF entry.
>
> Now that I think about it more, I am inclined to also push the docs changes to
> a new thread, just for wider visibility.
>
> I think it'd be ok to commit the docs dependency fix soon, without a separate
> thread, as it really fixes a "build bug".

I've not yet posted these different threads, but I've split up the meson tree
into subtrees corresponding to pretty much the above.

The meson tree now mainly merges those subtrees together. It still directly
contains the xml-tools dependency wrapper (to be merged soon) and the CI
changes (either later or never).

I've attached a revised version of the xml-tools dependency wrapper (0001):
Cleanups, minor error handling improvements, and bit of comment polishing. I'd
welcome review. But as it fixes a build-dependency bug / FIXME, I'm planning
to push it relatively soon otherwise.

0002 fixes libpq's .pc file (static dependencies didn't show up anymore) and
AIX compilation. AIX doesn't yet support link_whole (support was merged into
meson yesterday though). On the way it also improves comments and a bit of
generic infrastructure. The price for now is that the static libpq is built
separately from the shared one, not reusing any objects. I felt that the
complexity of reusing the objects isn't worth it for now.

Peter, it'd be great if you could have a look at 0002.

0003 mirrors the setup of libpq to the various ecpg libraries. This is a
prerequisite to adding resource files.

0004 adds the resource files

I think after that we could close the CF entry (and create a bunch of followup
entries, as discussed above). Although it somehow seems frivolous to start a
separate thread for "installcheck equivalent" :)

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
v18-0001-meson-docs-Add-xml-lint-proc-wrapper-to-collect-.patch text/x-diff 8.6 KB
v18-0002-meson-libpq-Revise-static-shared-library-setup.patch text/x-diff 4.4 KB
v18-0003-meson-ecpg-Split-definition-of-static-and-shared.patch text/x-diff 7.6 KB
v18-0004-meson-Add-windows-resource-files.patch text/x-diff 91.4 KB