Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-09-30 22:35:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-30 23:51:04 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 27.09.22 03:19, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Attaches is version 17. Other changes:
> [23 attachments]
>
> How shall we proceed here? The more progress we make, the more patches
> appear. ;-)

> Maybe close this commitfest entry now, and start new threads for each
> subsequent topic.

I was thinking of starting at least the following threads / CF entries once a
few of the remaining things are resolved:

- PGXS compatibility, plus related autoconf simplification patches
- pkg-config files for building postgres extensions
- relative rpath support

I am a bit on the fence about whether it's worth doing so for:

- installcheck equivalent
- precompiled header support (would like it soon, because it reduces
compile-test times substantially)

and, for no really tangible reason, considered
- resource files generation
- docs
- docs dependency

to be part of this thread / CF entry.

Now that I think about it more, I am inclined to also push the docs changes to
a new thread, just for wider visibility.

I think it'd be ok to commit the docs dependency fix soon, without a separate
thread, as it really fixes a "build bug".

Greetings,

Andres Freund