Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-09-21 23:10:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-21 09:46:30 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> After that I am planning to split the "ci" commit so that it converts a few of
> the CI tasks to use meson, without adding all the other platforms I added for
> development. I think that's important to get in soon, given that it'll
> probably take a bit until the buildfarm grows meson coverage and because it
> provides cfbot coverage which seems important for now as well.
>
> I think we should:
>
> - convert windows to build with ninja - it builds faster, runs all tests,
> parallelizes tests. That means that msbuild based builds don't have coverage
> via CI / cfbot, but we don't currently have the resources to test both.

I was working on that and hit an issue that took me a while to resolve: Once I
tested only the "main" meson commit plus CI the windows task was running out
of memory. There was an outage of the CI provider at the same time, so I first
blamed it on that. But it turns out to be "legitimately" high memory usage
related to debug symbols - the only reason CI didn't show that before was that
it's incidentally fixed as a indirect consequence of using precompiled
headers, in a later commit. Argh. It can also be fixed by the option required
to use ccache at some point, so I'll do that for now.

Greetings,

Andres Freund