Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-09-21 16:46:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-19 19:16:30 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-09-19 05:25:59 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > IMO, the following commits are ready to be pushed now:
>
> Slowly working through them.

I've attached an updated version of the main meson commit (and pushed all of
them to my git tree obviously). Changes:

- Added a longer commit message
- Stopped building doc/src/sgml/postgres-full.xml by default - somehow I
thought we did so by default for the autoconf build, but that's not the
case. Thomas noticed that that was extremely slow on one of his machines,
which turns out to be because it's downloading the dtd's.
- Added a missing dependency on check_rules.pl's result, lost that in a
cleanup, oops
- Fixed a few typos, via codespell

I'm planning to commit this today, unless somebody wants to argue against
that.

After that I am planning to split the "ci" commit so that it converts a few of
the CI tasks to use meson, without adding all the other platforms I added for
development. I think that's important to get in soon, given that it'll
probably take a bit until the buildfarm grows meson coverage and because it
provides cfbot coverage which seems important for now as well.

I think we should:

- convert windows to build with ninja - it builds faster, runs all tests,
parallelizes tests. That means that msbuild based builds don't have coverage
via CI / cfbot, but we don't currently have the resources to test both.
- add a linux build using meson, we currently can afford building both with
autoconf and meson for linux

I'm less clear on whether we should convert macos / freebsd to meson at this
point?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
v14-0001-meson-Add-initial-version-of-meson-based-buildsy.patch text/x-diff 353.2 KB