Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage
Date: 2022-08-06 00:03:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-08-05 14:08:23 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hah, I was about to push it. Thanks for catching these. Happy for you to push
> this soon!

Thanks. Next in my quest for reducing autoconf vs meson pg_config.h
differences is GETTIMEOFDAY stuff.

HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY currently is only defined for mingw as the configure test is
gated to windows - that's somewhat weird imo. mingw has had it since at least
2007. The attached patch makes the gettimeofday() fallback specific to msvc.

I've renamed the file to win32gettimeofday now. I wonder if we should rename
files that are specific to msvc to indicate that? But that's for later.

1-arg gettimeofday() hasn't been around in a *long* while from what I can
see. So I've removed that configure test.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Simplify-gettimeofday-fallback-logic.patch text/x-diff 8.8 KB