Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
Date: 2022-07-26 01:58:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:47:12 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> WARNING: skipping "pg_statistic" --- only superusers, roles with privileges of pg_vacuum_analyze, or the database owner can vacuum it
> WARNING: skipping "pg_type" --- only superusers, roles with privileges of pg_vacuum_analyze, or the database owner can vacuum it
> <snip many lines>

> WARNING: skipping "user_mappings" --- only table or database owner can vacuum it

By the way, the last error above dissapears by granting
pg_vacuum_analyze to the role. Is there a reason the message is left
alone? And If I specified the view directly, I would get the
following message.

postgres=> vacuum information_schema.user_mappings;
WARNING: skipping "user_mappings" --- cannot vacuum non-tables or special system tables

So, "VACUUM;" does something wrong? Or is it the designed behavior?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center