Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)
Date: 2022-07-21 11:25:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Jul-21, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Yeah, I think that would reduce cruft. I'm not sure this is more
> against backpatching policy or less, compared to adding a separate
> GUC just for this bugfix.

cruft:

{
{"allow_recovery_tablespaces", PG_POSTMASTER, WAL_RECOVERY,
gettext_noop("Continues recovery after finding invalid database directories."),
gettext_noop("It is possible for tablespace drop to interfere with database creation "
"so that WAL replay is forced to create fake database directories. "
"These should have been dropped by the time recovery ends; "
"but in case they aren't, this option lets recovery continue if they "
"are present. Note that these directories must be removed manually afterwards."),
GUC_NOT_IN_SAMPLE
},
&allow_recovery_tablespaces,
false,
NULL, NULL, NULL
},

This is not a very good explanation, but I don't know how to make it
better.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I think my standards have lowered enough that now I think 'good design'