Re: allow building trusted languages without the untrusted versions

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow building trusted languages without the untrusted versions
Date: 2022-07-13 18:53:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Given the discussion in this thread, I intend to mark the commitfest entry
as Withdrawn shortly. Before I do, I thought I'd first check whether 0001
[0] might be worthwhile independent of $SUBJECT. This change separates the
[un]trusted handler and validator functions for PL/Perl so that we no
longer need to inspect pg_language to determine whether to use the trusted
or untrusted code path. I was surprised to learn that you can end up with
PL/PerlU even if you've specified the trusted handler/validator functions.
Besides bringing things more in line with how PL/Tcl does things, this
change simplifies function lookup in plperl_proc_hash. I suppose such a
change might introduce a compatibility break for users who are depending on
this behavior, but I don't know if that's worth worrying about.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/133940/v1-0001-Do-not-use-pg_language-to-determine-whether-PL-Pe.patch

--
Nathan Bossart