Re: Add header support to text format and matching feature

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Rémi Lapeyre <remi(dot)lapeyre(at)lenstra(dot)fr>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add header support to text format and matching feature
Date: 2022-06-14 09:13:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 04:46:46PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> Some nits. I would suggest to reword this error message, like "cannot
> use \"match\" with HEADER in COPY TO".

Agreed.

> There is no need for the extra
> comment, and the error code should be ERRCODE_FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED.

Is there any rule for what error code should be used?

Maybe that's just me but I understand "not supported" as "this makes sense, but
this is currently a limitation that might be lifted later".

Here I don't think it can ever make to use MATCH for a COPY TO, apart from
ignoring its meaning and accept it as an alias for HEADER ON. But if we don't
allow this loose alias now it would just cause trouble to later allow it so
having an invalid syntax or something like that sounds more suited.