Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse
Date: 2022-04-15 03:27:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 11:06:04PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> > But 24s after that email, it did reproduce the problem.
>
> Ain't that always the way.

Quite so.

> > Same symptoms as the
> > last buildfarm runs, including visfrac=0. I'm attaching my script. (It has
> > various references to my home directory, so it's not self-contained.)
>
> That's interesting, because I see you used installcheck-parallel,
> which I'd not been using on the grounds that wrasse isn't parallelizing
> these runs. That puts a big hole in my working assumption that the
> problem is one of timing.

With "make installcheck-tests TESTS='test_setup create_index'" it remains
reproducible. The attached script reproduced it in 103s and then in 703s.

> I'm now suspecting that the key issue is
> something about how wrasse is building the executables that I did
> not exactly reproduce. I did not try to copy the build details
> involving stuff under your home directory (like the private openldap
> version), mainly because it didn't seem like openldap or uuid or
> perl could be involved at all. But maybe somehow?

Can't rule it out entirely. I think I've now put world-read on all the
directories referenced in the script, in the event you'd like to use them.

Attachment Content-Type Size
repro-wrasse-vis.sh application/x-sh 1.3 KB