Re: BufferAlloc: don't take two simultaneous locks

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, michail(dot)nikolaev(at)gmail(dot)com, x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: BufferAlloc: don't take two simultaneous locks
Date: 2022-03-11 06:30:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 03 Mar 2022 01:35:57 +0300, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote in
> В Вт, 01/03/2022 в 10:24 +0300, Yura Sokolov пишет:
> > Ok, here is v4.
>
> And here is v5.
>
> First, there was compilation error in Assert in dynahash.c .
> Excuse me for not checking before sending previous version.
>
> Second, I add third commit that reduces HASHHDR allocation
> size for non-partitioned dynahash:
> - moved freeList to last position
> - alloc and memset offset(HASHHDR, freeList[1]) for
> non-partitioned hash tables.
> I didn't benchmarked it, but I will be surprised if it
> matters much in performance sence.
>
> Third, I put all three commits into single file to not
> confuse commitfest application.

Thanks! I looked into dynahash part.

struct HASHHDR
{
- /*
- * The freelist can become a point of contention in high-concurrency hash

Why did you move around the freeList?

- long nentries; /* number of entries in associated buckets */
+ long nfree; /* number of free entries in the list */
+ long nalloced; /* number of entries initially allocated for

Why do we need nfree? HASH_ASSING should do the same thing with
HASH_REMOVE. Maybe the reason is the code tries to put the detached
bucket to different free list, but we can just remember the
freelist_idx for the detached bucket as we do for hashp. I think that
should largely reduce the footprint of this patch.

-static void hdefault(HTAB *hashp);
+static void hdefault(HTAB *hashp, bool partitioned);

That optimization may work even a bit, but it is not irrelevant to
this patch?

+ case HASH_REUSE:
+ if (currBucket != NULL)
+ {
+ /* check there is no unfinished HASH_REUSE+HASH_ASSIGN pair */
+ Assert(DynaHashReuse.hashp == NULL);
+ Assert(DynaHashReuse.element == NULL);

I think all cases in the switch(action) other than HASH_ASSIGN needs
this assertion and no need for checking both, maybe only for element
would be enough.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi