Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2022-02-16 00:33:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Feb-16, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> Here's an updated version of the patch, rebased to current master. Parts
> 0002 and 0003 include various improvements based on review by me and another
> one by Peter Smith [1].

Thanks for doing this!

> 1) partitioning with pubviaroot=true

I agree that preventing the inconsistencies from happening is probably
the best.

> 2) merging multiple column filters
>
> When the table has multiple column filters (in different publications), we
> need to merge them. Which works, except that FOR ALL TABLES [IN SCHEMA]
> needs to be handled as "has no column filter" (and replicates everything).

Agreed.

> 3) partitioning with pubivaroot=false
>
> When a partitioned table is added with (pubviaroot=false), it should not be
> subject to column filter on the parent relation, which is the same behavior
> used by the row filtering patch.

You mean each partition should define its own filter, or lack of filter?
That sounds reasonable.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Pensar que el espectro que vemos es ilusorio no lo despoja de espanto,