Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - autogenerated headers

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - autogenerated headers
Date: 2022-02-08 01:22:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-02-07 16:30:53 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > A second aspect that I'm wondering about is whether we should try to split
> > pg_config.h output a bit:
>
> TBH I can't get excited about that. I do not think that rebuilding
> with different options is a critical path. ccache already does most
> of the heavy lifting when you do that sort of thing, anyway.

I've found it to be pretty painful when building with msvc, which doesn't have
ccache (yet at least), and where the process startup overhead is bigger.

Even on some other platforms it's useful - it takes a while on net/openbsd to
recompile postgres, even if everything is in ccache. If I test on some
platform I'll often install the most basic set, get the tests to run, and then
incrementally figure out what other packages need to be installed etc.

Greetings,

Andres Freund