Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - autogenerated headers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - autogenerated headers
Date: 2022-02-07 21:30:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been wondering whether we should try to have the generated pg_config.h
> look as similar as possible to autoconf/autoheader's, or not. And whether the
> way autoconf/autoheader define symbols makes sense when not using either
> anymore.

> To be honest, I do not really understand the logic behind when autoconf ends
> up with #defines that define a macro to 0/1 and when a macro ends defined/or
> not and when we end up with a macro defined to 1 or not defined at all.

Agreed, that always seemed entirely random to me too. I'd be content
to end up with "defined or not defined" as the standard. I think
we have way more #ifdef tests than #if tests, so changing the latter
seems more sensible than changing the former.

> A second aspect that I'm wondering about is whether we should try to split
> pg_config.h output a bit:

TBH I can't get excited about that. I do not think that rebuilding
with different options is a critical path. ccache already does most
of the heavy lifting when you do that sort of thing, anyway.