Re: Refactoring the regression tests for more independence

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Refactoring the regression tests for more independence
Date: 2022-01-02 17:49:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 05:00:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> While I've not done so here, I'm tempted to rename
> create_function_0 to create_function_c and create_function_3 to
> create_function_sql, to give them better-defined charters and
> eliminate the confusion with trailing digits for variant files.

+1

> (Maybe we should provide a way to run specified test script(s) *without*
> invoking the whole schedule first.)

+1 ; it can be done later, though.

It's nice to be able to get feedback within a few seconds. That supports the
idea of writing tests earlier.

I guess this may expose some instabilities due to timing of autovacuum (which
I'd say is a good thing).

If you rearrange the creation of objects, that may provide an opportunity to
rename some tables with too-short names, since backpatching would already have
conflicts.

--
Justin