Re: Time to drop plpython2?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Date: 2021-11-15 18:12:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-11-15 12:19:51 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't think that's warranted. The existing design is that we let
> the user say which python is "python", and I do not think we should
> change that in advance of actually dropping python2 support.

Hm. I think it'd be ok, given that python 2 is well past EOL. But I also see
your point.

> I was wondering about simply probing to see if python3 exists (and if
> so, what version it is exactly), as an additional configure test that
> doesn't hook into anything. That would give us some information without
> suddenly changing what is being tested.

But this is probably a good compromise. Were you thinking of doing a proper
autoconf test or just putting something like python3 --version || true in
configure?

I guess it'd be easiest to interpret if we output the current PYTHON version
and, iff < 3.0, also output the 'python3' version?

Greetings,

Andres Freund