Re: pg_upgrade test for binary compatibility of core data types

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade test for binary compatibility of core data types
Date: 2021-11-07 19:22:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 02:38:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 04:58:41PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > I was looking at this CF entry, and what you are doing in 0004 to move
> > the tweaks from pg_upgrade's test.sh to a separate SQL script that
> > uses psql's meta-commands like \if to check which version we are on is
> > really interesting. The patch does not apply anymore, so this needs a
> > rebase. The entry has been switched as waiting on author by Tom, but
> > you did not update it after sending the new versions in [1]. I am
> > wondering if we could have something cleaner than just a set booleans
> > as you do here for each check, as that does not help with the
> > readability of the tests.
>
> And so, I am back at this thread, looking at the set of patches
> proposed from 0001 to 0004. The patches are rather messy and mix many
> things and concepts, but there are basically four things that stand
> out:
> - test.sh is completely broken when using PG >= 14 as new version
> because of the removal of the test tablespace. Older versions of
> pg_regress don't support --make-tablespacedir so I am fine to stick a
> couple of extra mkdirs for testtablespace/, expected/ and sql/ to
> allow the script to work properly for major upgrades as a workaround,
> but only if we use an old version. We need to do something here for
> HEAD and REL_14_STABLE.
> - The script would fail when using PG <= 11 as old version because of
> WITH OIDS relations. We need to do something down to REL_12_STABLE.
> I did not like much the approach taken to stick 4 ALTER TABLE queries
> though (the patch was actually failing here for me), so instead I have
> borrowed what the buildfarm has been doing with a DO block. That
> works fine, and that's more portable.
> - Not using --extra-float-digits with PG <= 11 as older version causes
> a bunch of diffs in the dumps, making the whole unreadable. The patch
> was doing that unconditionally for *all version*, which is not good.
> We should only do that on the versions that need it, and we know the
> old version number before taking any dumps so that's easy to check.
> - The addition of --wal-segsize and --allow-group-access breaks the
> script when using PG < 10 at initdb time as these got added in 11.
> With 10 getting EOL'd next year and per the lack of complaints, I am
> not excited to do anything here and I'd rather leave this out so as we
> keep coverage for those options across *all* major versions upgraded
> from 11~. The buildfarm has tests down to 9.2, but for devs my take
> is that this is enough for now.

Michael handled those in fa66b6d.
Note that the patch assumes that the "old version" being pg_upgraded has
commit 97f73a978: "Work around cross-version-upgrade issues created by commit 9e38c2bb5."

That may be good enough for test.sh, but if the kludges were moved to a .sql
script which was also run by the buildfarm (in stead of its hardcoded kludges), then
it might be necessary to handle the additional stuff my patch did, like:

+ DROP TRANSFORM FOR integer LANGUAGE sql CASCADE;"
+ DROP FUNCTION boxarea(box);"
+ DROP FUNCTION funny_dup17();"
+ DROP TABLE abstime_tbl;"
+ DROP TABLE reltime_tbl;"
+ DROP TABLE tinterval_tbl;"
+ DROP AGGREGATE first_el_agg_any(anyelement);"
+ DROP AGGREGATE array_cat_accum(anyarray);"
+ DROP OPERATOR @#@(NONE,bigint);"

Or, maybe it's guaranteed that the animals all run latest version of old
branches, in which case I think some of the BF's existing logic could be
dropped, which would help to reconcile these two scripts:

my $missing_funcs = q{drop function if exists public.boxarea(box);
drop function if exists public.funny_dup17();
..
$prstmt = join(';',
'drop operator @#@ (NONE, bigint)',
..
'drop aggregate if exists public.array_cat_accum(anyarray)',

> This is for the basics in terms of fixing test.sh and what should be
> backpatched. In this aspect patches 0001 and 0002 were a bit
> incorrect. I am not sure that 0003 is that interesting as designed as
> we would miss any new core types introduced.

We wouldn't miss new core types, because of the 2nd part of type_sanity which
tests that each core type was included in the "manytypes" table.

+-- And now a test on the previous test, checking that all core types are
+-- included in this table
+-- XXX or some other non-catalog table processed by pg_upgrade
+SELECT oid, typname, typtype, typelem, typarray, typarray FROM pg_type t
+WHERE typtype NOT IN ('p', 'c')
+-- reg* which cannot be pg_upgraded
+AND oid != ALL(ARRAY['regproc', 'regprocedure', 'regoper', 'regoperator', 'regconfig', 'regdictionary', 'regnamespace', 'regcollation']::regtype[])
+-- XML might be disabled at compile-time
+AND oid != ALL(ARRAY['xml', 'gtsvector', 'pg_node_tree', 'pg_ndistinct', 'pg_dependencies', 'pg_mcv_list', 'pg_brin_bloom_summary', 'pg_brin_minmax_multi_summary']::regtype[])
+AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM pg_type u WHERE u.typarray=t.oid) -- exclude arrays
+AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM pg_attribute a WHERE a.atttypid=t.oid AND a.attnum>0 AND a.attrelid='manytypes'::regclass);

--
Justin

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-pg_upgrade-test-to-exercise-binary-compatibility.patch text/x-diff 8.5 KB
v6-0002-Move-pg_upgrade-kludges-to-sql-script.patch text/x-diff 4.1 KB