Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
Date: 2021-11-07 18:50:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-11-05 08:54:37 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 6:46 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > What about extending GRANT to allow to grant rights on commands? Yes, it'd be
> > a bit of work to make that work in the catalogs, but it doesn't seem too hard
> > to tackle.
>
> I think that there aren't too many commands where the question is just
> whether you can execute the command or not. CHECKPOINT is one that
> does work that way, but if it's VACUUM or ANALYZE the question will be
> whether you can run it on a particular table; if it's ALTER SYSTEM it
> will be whether you can run it for that GUC; and so on. CHECKPOINT is
> one of the few commands that has no target.

I don't know if that's really such a big deal. It's useful to be able to grant
the right to do a system wide ANALYZE etc to a role that can't otherwise do
anything with the table. Even for ALTER SYSTEM etc it seems like it'd be
helpful, because it allows to constrain an admin tool to "legitimate" admin
paths, without allowing, say, UPDATE pg_proc.

Greetings,

Andres Freund