Re: Refactoring: join MakeSingleTupleTableSlot() and MakeTupleTableSlot()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Refactoring: join MakeSingleTupleTableSlot() and MakeTupleTableSlot()
Date: 2021-10-26 16:36:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Oct-26, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 7:54 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> > Another point that could be made is that perhaps
> > MakeSingleTupleTableSlot should always construct a slot using virtual
> > tuples rather than passing TTSOps as a parameter?
>
> I haven't really looked at this issue deeply but that seems like it
> might be a bit confusing. Then "single" would end up being an alias
> for "virtual" which I don't suppose is what anyone is expecting.

Yeah -- another point against that idea is that most of the callers are
indeed not using virtual tuples, so it doesn't really work. I was just
thinking that if something wants to process transient tuples they may
just be virtual and not be forced to make them heap tuples, but on
looking again, that's not how the abstraction works.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Siempre hay que alimentar a los dioses, aunque la tierra esté seca" (Orual)