Re: Allow escape in application_name

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com, ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: Allow escape in application_name
Date: 2021-10-01 07:40:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 01 Oct 2021 11:23:33 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> function but that is apparently too-much complex. (It would be worth
> doing if we share the same backbone processing with archive_command,
> restore_command, recover_end_command and so on, but that is
> necessarily accompanied by the need to change the behavior either
> log_line_prefix or others.)

So I was daydreaming over the idea and concluded as it is no-go.

I said that the fdw-application name is close to archive_command
rather than log_line_prefix, but that is totally missing the point.
log_line_prefix and the fdw-application name share the concept of
formatting, which is not a part of archive_command and friends.

The latter is made very light weight and simple due to not only the
formatless-ness but also the narrow choices of escape characters. Also
they work on fixed-length buffer instead of StringInfo.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center