Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2021-09-02 08:49:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Sep-02, Rahila Syed wrote:

> After thinking about this, I think it is best to remove the entire table
> from publication,
> if a column specified in the column filter is dropped from the table.

Hmm, I think it would be cleanest to give responsibility to the user: if
the column to be dropped is in the filter, then raise an error, aborting
the drop. Then it is up to them to figure out what to do.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El destino baraja y nosotros jugamos" (A. Schopenhauer)