reporting TID/table with corruption error

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: reporting TID/table with corruption error
Date: 2021-08-19 16:37:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A customer recently hit this error message:

ERROR: t_xmin is uncommitted in tuple to be updated

This was not very informative, so without any clues, we had to let it
go. But it did occur to me that we can improve this message so that we
know details such as the TID and the relation that caused the issue, so
that if it ever occurs again we can at least look at the WAL stream for
anything affecting the tuple, maybe it'd help to understand the problem.

So I propose the following patch.

--
Álvaro Herrera

Attachment Content-Type Size
report-tuple.patch text/x-diff 837 bytes