Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date: 2021-07-29 14:56:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 09:35:28PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
> I came up with the attached patch.
>

> Thank you.  It is an improvement but I think more could be done here (not
> exactly sure what - though removing the "copy binaries for contrib modules from
> the old server" seems like a decent second step.)

Uh, I don't see that text.

> I'm not sure it really needs a parenthetical, and I personally dislike using
> "Consider" to start the sentence.
>
> "Bringing extensions up to the newest version available on the new server can
> be done later using ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE (after ensuring the correct
> binaries are installed)."

OK, I went with this new text. There is confusion over install vs copy,
and whether this is happening at the operating system level or the SQL
level. I tried to clarify that, but I am not sure I was successful. I
also used the word "extension" since this is more common than "custom".

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade.diff text/x-diff 1.8 KB