Re: pgbench bug candidate: negative "initial connection time"

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench bug candidate: negative "initial connection time"
Date: 2021-06-17 03:55:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 20:25:31 +0200 (CEST)
Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> Hello Yugo-san,
>
> >> When connection break while the bench has already started,
> >> maybe it makes more sense to proceed,
> >
> > The result would be incomplete also in this case. However, the reason why
> > it is worth to proceed is that such information is still useful for users,
> > or we don't want to waste the bench that has already started?
>
> Hmmm. It depends on what the user is testing. If one is interested in
> client resilience under errors, the bench should probably attempt a
> reconnect. If one is interested in best performance when all is well,
> then clearly something is amiss and there is no point to go on.

Agreed. After --max-tries options is implemented on pgbench, we would be
able to add a new feature to allow users to choose if we try to reconnect
or not. However, we don't have it yet for now, so we should just abort
the client and report the abortion at the end of the bench when a connection
or socket error occurs during the bench, as same the existing behaviour.

By the way, the issue of inital connection erros reported in this thread
will be fixed by the patch attached in my previous post (a major part are
written by you :-) ). Is this acceptable for you?

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>