Re: Improving isolationtester's data output

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving isolationtester's data output
Date: 2021-06-16 19:30:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-06-15 22:44:29 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Here's a really quick-and-dirty patch to see what that would look
> like. I haven't bothered here to update the expected-files outside
> the main src/test/isolation directory, nor to fix the variant files.

Neat.

> + memset(&popt, 0, sizeof(popt));
> + popt.header = true;
> + popt.align = true;
> + popt.fieldSep = "|";
> + PQprint(stdout, res, &popt);
> }

Is there an argument for not aligning because that can make diffs larger
than the actual data changes? E.g. one row being longer will cause all
rows in the result set to be shown as differing because of the added
padding? This has been a problem in the normal regression tests, where
we solved it by locally disabling alignment. It might be unproblematic
for isolationtester, because we don't often have large result sets...

Greetings,

Andres Freund