Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date: 2021-06-16 06:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 15 Jun 2021 22:07:32 +0800, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 9:31 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> >
> > Rather than use size, I'd be inclined to say use this if the source
> > database is marked as a template, and use the copydir approach for
> > anything that isn't.
>
> Looks like a good approach.

If we are willing to maintain the two methods.

Couldn't we just skip the checkpoints if the database is known to
"clean", which means no page has been loaded for the database since
startup? We can use the "template" mark to reject connections to the
database. (I'm afraid that we also should prevent vacuum to visit the
template databases, but...)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi