Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-18 15:08:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 09:44:09AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> As things stand, in this case I think it *should* be included, since the
> backpatched change isn't the same as the change to HEAD (removing the GUC).
> The git_changelog output might well be wrong in this case (or, arguably, the
> "remove the GUC entirely" should've been a separate master-only commit than the
> "make the GUC do nothing" commit).

I think having the same commit message for different patches to
different branches is an unwise behavior, particularly if the commit is
release-note worthy. (I think it is fine if the patch is purely
mechanical and hence not release-note worthy.) The master patch is hash
9f3665fbfc and the PG 13 patch is hash 9663d12446.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com