Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-05-13 17:41:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 01:33:27PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'm coming around to have a similar feeling. While having an
> alternative query ID might be useful, I have a hard time seeing it as
> likely to be a hugely popular feature that is worth a lot of users
> complaining (as we've seen already, multiple times, before even getting
> to beta...) that things aren't working anymore. That we can't figure
> out which libraries to load automatically based on what extensions have
> been installed and therefore make everyone have to change
> shared_preload_libraries isn't a good thing and requiring additional
> configuration for extremely common extensions like pg_stat_statements is
> making it worse.

Would someone please explain what is wrong with what is in the tree
now, except that it needs additional warnings about misconfiguration?
Requiring two postgresql.conf changes instead of one doesn't seem like a
valid complaint to me, especially if the warnings are in place and the
release notes mention it.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com