Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-13 03:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 06:06:31PM -0400, Álvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-May-12, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > OK, I added it into the existing entry:
> >
> > <listitem>
> > <!--
> > Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> > 2021-01-31 [676887a3b] Implementation of subscripting for jsonb
> > Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> > 2021-01-31 [81fcc72e6] Filling array gaps during jsonb subscripting
> > Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> > 2021-01-31 [aa6e46daf] Throw error when assigning jsonb scalar instead of a com
> > -->
> >
> > <para>
> > Allow subscripting of jsonb (Dmitry Dolgov)
> > </para>
> >
> > <para>
> > Subscripting can be used to extract from and assign to jsonb documents.
> > Subscripting is now extensible so extensions and built-in data type can make use of this.
> > </para>
> > </listitem>
>
> I dunno, this seems to approach the feature from the specifics rather
> than its full generality. I would have said something like
>
> Make subscripting user-extensible for "container" types
> <!-- maybe "array-like types" -->
>
> Subscripting JSONB is now integrated in core, and adding user-defined
> subscripting for other types is possible.

I wanted to highlight the more useful aspect of this change, which I
think is JSBONB subscripting. Here is an updated version. Changes?

<listitem>
<!--
Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
2021-01-31 [676887a3b] Implementation of subscripting for jsonb
Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
2021-01-31 [81fcc72e6] Filling array gaps during jsonb subscripting
Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
2021-01-31 [aa6e46daf] Throw error when assigning jsonb scalar instead of a com
-->

<para>
Allow subscripting of JSONB and simplify the implementation of subscripting
(Dmitry Dolgov)
</para>

<para>
JSONB subscripting can be used to extract from and assign to JSONB
documents. Extensions and built-in data types can now implement
subscripting more easily.
</para>
</listitem>

EDB https://enterprisedb.com