Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-12 22:06:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-May-12, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I added it into the existing entry:
>
> <listitem>
> <!--
> Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> 2021-01-31 [676887a3b] Implementation of subscripting for jsonb
> Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> 2021-01-31 [81fcc72e6] Filling array gaps during jsonb subscripting
> Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> 2021-01-31 [aa6e46daf] Throw error when assigning jsonb scalar instead of a com
> -->
>
> <para>
> Allow subscripting of jsonb (Dmitry Dolgov)
> </para>
>
> <para>
> Subscripting can be used to extract from and assign to jsonb documents.
> Subscripting is now extensible so extensions and built-in data type can make use of this.
> </para>
> </listitem>

I dunno, this seems to approach the feature from the specifics rather
than its full generality. I would have said something like

Make subscripting user-extensible for "container" types
<!-- maybe "array-like types" -->

Subscripting JSONB is now integrated in core, and adding user-defined
subscripting for other types is possible.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile
Bob [Floyd] used to say that he was planning to get a Ph.D. by the "green