Re: pg_hba.conf.sample wording improvement

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf.sample wording improvement
Date: 2021-04-28 14:09:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Apr-28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I propose the attached patch to shake up the wording in the connection type
> section of pg_hba.conf.sample a bit. After the hostgssenc part was added
> on, the whole thing became a bit wordy, and it's also a bit inaccurate for
> example in that the current wording for "host" appears to say that it does
> not apply to GSS-encrypted connections.

Yeah, that's a clear improvement.

Looking at it now, I wonder how well do the "hostno" options work. If I
say "hostnogssenc", is an SSL-encrypted socket good? If I say
"hostnossl", is a GSS-encrypted socket good? If so, how does that make
sense?

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Pensar que el espectro que vemos es ilusorio no lo despoja de espanto,