Re: Stronger safeguard for archive recovery not to miss data

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, david(at)pgmasters(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: Stronger safeguard for archive recovery not to miss data
Date: 2021-04-05 07:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Mon, 5 Apr 2021 07:04:09 +0000, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote in
> From: osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> > By the way, when I build postgres with this patch and enable-coverage option,
> > the results of RT becomes unstable. Does someone know the reason ?
> > When it fails, I get stderr like below
> >
> > t/001_start_stop.pl .. 10/24
> > # Failed test 'pg_ctl start: no stderr'
> > # at t/001_start_stop.pl line 48.
> > # got:
> > 'profiling:/home/k5user/new_disk/recheck/PostgreSQL-Source-Dev/src/bac
> > kend/executor/execMain.gcda:Merge mismatch for function 15
> > # '
> > # expected: ''
> > t/001_start_stop.pl .. 24/24 # Looks like you failed 1 test of 24.
> > t/001_start_stop.pl .. Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100) Failed 1/24
> > subtests
> >
> > Similar phenomena was observed in [1] and its solution seems to upgrade my
> > gcc higher than 7. And, I did so but still get this unstable error with
> > enable-coverage. This didn't happen when I remove enable-option and the
> > make check-world passes.
>
> Can you share the steps you took? e.g.,
>
> $ configure --enable-coverage ...
> $ make world
> $ make check-world
> $ patch -p1 < your_patch
> $ make world
> $ make check-world
>
> A bit of Googling shows that the same error message has shown up in the tests of other software than Postgres. It doesn't seem like this failure is due to your patch.

I didn't see that, but found the following article.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2590794/gcov-warning-merge-mismatch-for-summaries

> This happens when one of the objects you're linking into an executable
> changes significantly. For example it gains or loses some lines of
> profilable code.

It seems like your working directory needs some cleanup.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center