Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf
Date: 2021-03-22 17:02:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Craig Ringer (craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) wrote:
> Pretty good to me. Thanks so much for your help and support with this.

Thanks for helping me move it forward!

> Index entries render as e.g.
>
> pg_xlogdump, The pg_xlogdump command
> (see also pg_waldump)
>
> wheras with the obsolete subhead they would render as something like:
>
> obsolete, Obsolete or renamed features, settings and files
> pg_xlogdump, The pg_xlogdump command
>
> The see also spelling is much easier to find in the index but doesn't make
> it as obvious that it's obsoleted/replaced.
>
> A look at the doxygen docs suggest we should use <see> not <seealso> for
> these.
>
> A quick
>
> sed -i -e 's/<seealso>/<see>/g' -e 's/<\/seealso>/<\/see>/g'
> doc/src/sgml/appendix-obsolete*
>
> causes them to render much better:
>
> pg_receivexlog, The pg_receivexlog command (see pg_receivewal)
>
> It might be worth changing the <title/>s too, so I've done so in the
> attached. The terms now render as:
>
> pg_receivexlog, pg_receivexlog renamed to pg_recievewal (see
> pg_receivewal)
>
> which is good enough in my opinion. The duplication is messy but an
> expected artifact of index generation. I don't see any docbook <indexterm>
> attribute that lets you suppress insertion of the <title> of the section
> containing the <indexterm>, and it's not worth fiddling to try to eliminate
> it with structural hacks.

Nice, yes, that does look better.

> The attached changes the titles, changes <seealso> to <see>, and also
> updates the comments in the obsolete entries SGML docs to specify that the
> id must be unchanged + give a recommended index term format.

Awesome, attached is just a rebase (not that anything really changed).
Unless someone wants to speak up, I'll commit this soonish (hopefully
tomorrow, but at least sometime later this week).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Add-a-docs-section-for-obsoleted-and-renamed-func.patch text/x-diff 14.5 KB