Re: PROXY protocol support

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: magnus(at)hagander(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PROXY protocol support
Date: 2021-03-04 01:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> PFA a simple patch that implements support for the PROXY protocol.
>
> This is a protocol common and very light weight in proxies and load
> balancers (haproxy is one common example, but also for example the AWS
> cloud load balancers). Basically this protocol prefixes the normal
> connection with a header and a specification of what the original host
> was, allowing the server to unwrap that and get the correct client
> address instead of just the proxy ip address. It is a one-way protocol
> in that there is no response from the server, it's just purely a
> prefix of the IP information.

Is there any formal specification for the "a protocol common and very
light weight in proxies"? I am asking because I was expecting that is
explained in your patch (hopefully in "Frontend/Backend Protocol"
chapter) but I couldn't find it in your patch.

Also we need a regression test for this feature.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan