Re: i.e. and e.g. used with incorrect meaning

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: jon77h(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: i.e. and e.g. used with incorrect meaning
Date: 2021-01-15 17:37:05
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:15:41PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/ssh-tunnels.html
>
> You're gonna hate this -- a grammar nit pick.
> But for the few of us who know what e.g. and i.e. mean, the wrong one is
> confusing.
>
> e.g. = exempli gratia = for example.
> i.e. = id est = that is.
>
> "that is" implies that there's no other option.
> "for example" implies that there are other options.

commit 472e518a44
Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Date: Fri Oct 2 21:39:33 2020 -0400

doc: clarify the use of ssh port forwarding

Reported-by: karimelghazouly(at)gmail(dot)com

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/159854511172.24991.4373145230066586863@wrigleys.postgresql.org

Backpatch-through: 9.5

> So in the following text, they seem to be the wrong way round:
>
> "The name or IP address after this is the remote bind address you are
> connecting to, i.e., localhost, which is the default. The second number,

I think you are right that this should be e.g.. I used i.e. because I
thought it was odd to have the "which is the default" text after the
example text, since it might not make sense. I will change it to:

"The name or IP address after this is the remote bind address
you are connecting to, i.e., localhost (the default).

> 5432, is the remote end of the tunnel, e.g., the port number your database
> server is using."

I think the above is correct, since "the port number your database
server is using" is an example, not a rephrasing of the earlier part of
the sentence.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com