Re: Spurious "apparent wraparound" via SimpleLruTruncate() rounding

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spurious "apparent wraparound" via SimpleLruTruncate() rounding
Date: 2021-01-12 08:49:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:22:05AM +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> I'm marking patch as ready for committer.

Thanks.

> I can't tell should we backpatch insurance patch or not: it potentially fixes unknown bugs, and potentially contains unknown bugs. I can't reason because of such uncertainty. I've tried to look for any potential problem and as for now I see none. Chances are <slru-truncate-t-insurance-v5.patch> is doing code less error-prone.

What do you think of abandoning slru-truncate-t-insurance entirely? As of
https://postgr.es/m/20200330052809.GB2324620@rfd.leadboat.com I liked the idea
behind it, despite its complicating the system for hackers and DBAs. The
TruncateMultiXact() interaction rendered it less appealing. In v14+, commit
cd5e822 mitigates the kind of bugs that slru-truncate-t-insurance mitigates,
further reducing the latter's value. slru-truncate-t-insurance does mitigate
larger trespasses into unlink-eligible space, though.

> Fix <slru-truncate-modulo-v6.patch> certainly worth backpatching.

I'll push it on Saturday, probably.