Re: Wrong statistics for size of XLOG_SWITCH during pg_waldump.

From: "movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca" <movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca>
To: michael <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, ahsan(dot)hadi <ahsan(dot)hadi(at)highgo(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Wrong statistics for size of XLOG_SWITCH during pg_waldump.
Date: 2020-10-12 01:46:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for reply.

>If you wish to add more information about a XLOG_SWITCH record, I
>don't think that changing the signature of XLogDumpRecordLen() is
>adapted because the record length of this record is defined as
>Horiguchi-san mentioned upthread, and the meaning of junk_len is
>confusing here. It seems to me that any extra information should be
>added to xlog_desc() where there should be an extra code path for
>(info == XLOG_SWITCH). XLogReaderState should have all the
>information you are lookng for.
We have two places to use the 'junk_len', one is when we show the
detail record information, another is when we statistics the percent
of all kind of wal record kinds(by --stat=record). The second place
will not run the xlog_desc(), so it's not a good chance to do the thing.

I am still can not understand why it can't adapted to change the
signature of XLogDumpRecordLen(), maybe we can add a new function
to caculate the 'junk_len' and rename the 'junk_len' as 'skiped_size' or
'switched_size'?

Regards,
Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)
EMAIL: mailto:movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca