Re: Inconsistent Japanese name order in v13 contributors list

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistent Japanese name order in v13 contributors list
Date: 2020-09-21 13:31:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Sep-18, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This thread from 2015 is the most comprehensive discussion I remember of
> Japanese name ordering, including a suggestion to use small caps:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20150613231826.GY133018%40postgresql.org#88d245a5cdd2b32e1e3e80fc07eab6f2
>
> I have been following this guidance ever since.

Right.

About smallcaps, we didn't do it then because there was no way known to
us to use them in our then-current toolchain. But we've changed now to
XML and apparently it is possible to use them -- we could try something
like <emphasis role="caps_lastname"> and define a CSS rule like

.caps_lastname {font-variant: small-caps;}

(Apparently you also need to set 'emphasis.propagates.style' to 1 in the
stylesheet). This does it for HTML. You also need some FO trick to
cover the PDF (probably something like what a042750646db did to change
catalog_table_entry formatting.)